Thursday, January 4, 2018

Cross Training for Gravel Biking AKA running

I guess I couldn't stay away too long. (I started this post a few days and it sat there until now)
It's Christmas break and I decided to take the week off work. It's been wonderful sleeping in and staying up late binge watching Netflix shows. Season 4 of AMC's Turn was incredible.
The Christmas cookies and cheer are a double-edged sword. They're tempting and good but stick to you and slow you down.
not good as post-run selfies - but mustache-icles
As I shared in the previous post, I have switched from bike commuting to running now.

I don't ride a bike trainer.

I don't own a treadmill.

Being outside makes you tough and there's a lot of harder things in life to prepare for.
This is just training.

It's been a tough week to start running seriously again.

I am committed to running the half-marathon Presidents Day weekend and have my training plan in place. It's good to hold me accountable or I'd sit around and veg out and then wonder why I gained so much weight this winter!
I started off running 3.5mi. and then upped it to 4 and next became 5mi. It was good and I felt my body say it was ok.

But the weather outside is not cooperating. Actually, it's just really really cold. Thankfully there is not much slush to run through outdoors. Just packed ice and snow. I run with my Yaktrax on and seem to get good grip to not slip. The first few runs were rather slow for me, around the 9mi./mile mark. When it is Zero degrees I don't move too quick.

For New Year's weekend we were able to travel and see the in-law's. We also spent the day at the new Recreation Center. I ran 5mi. on the new indoor track but due to the steel building, Strava did not record my GPS track. I had to use all my fingers to keep track of the number of laps and miles. Pretty sure I ran more than the 5miles but was happy to hit the stop at 42 min. and think that was probably fair. 8:24 per mile.
It was good to see my Watertown Triathlon buddy there too who informed me about  a foot pod he uses to track his laps/distance and how it syncs with his watch. I told him I would have to look into that.

This week, on Tuesday it did warm up to 12 degrees. It felt downright balmy compared to the 0 deg. and windchill from last week. I ran faster too. In part warmer weather makes it easier to breathe but also I am starting to reap the rewards of running for 2 weeks already. I ran 4 miles at 8:06 pace. That bodes well.

I don't take too many pictures when I am running since I am focused on my pace and traction and body position so screenshots and post-run selfies will have to do. Plus I have my phone strapped into a holster on my arm that is not easy to access.

Well, so far so good. I checked my excel spreadsheet/training plan and am on target. I am running 4mi. every other day with a 5mi. run on Saturday's now. The weather pattern has not changed so it's still zero degrees out with no precipitation in the foreseeable 2 weeks. Gotta keep the mindset right. Toughen up. This is just training.

Keeping one foot in front of the other and beating everyone sitting on the couch....
Until next time.
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment